Where do vh1 come when they want the lowdown on what’s best in Britain? One guess. Click here to find out.
Some of Britain’s best foods come in cans. And we stock them all in Carry On Tea & Sympathy. With the addition of hot buttered toast, you can treat your taste buds in a matter of minutes.
We’re having a real “we can’t believe we haven’t done this already” moment. Because today’s recipe is one of the Tea & Sympathy classics. And despite blogging for well over a year now, we’ve never shared it with you. We’ve given you shepherd’s pie, scones, and our famous chicken and leek pie, but apple crumble seems to have slipped under the radar. Unforgivable, we know.
Our memory was jogged while drinking a cup of our new Rosie Lee English Breakfast blend teabags. Apple crumble, with its salty sweet covering along with the soft, cinnamon apples within, is the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea. Especially, when served with lashings of custard!
So here it, from us to you, our very special apple crumble recipe. To be served with Rosie Lee!
Tea & Sympathy Apple Crumble
Preparation Time: 1 1/2 hours
For the filling
1 1/2 lbs Granny Smiths or other cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
2 tablespoons sugar
5 whole loves or 1/4 teaspon cinnamon
1/3 cup water
For the crumble topping
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sweet butter
Warm custard or heavy cream, optional.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- For the filling, combine the apples, sugar, and spice in an 8 x 8-inch )square or round) buttered baking dish. Add the water.
- For the topping, mix together the sugar and flour and rub in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Cover the apples evenly with the crumble mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with cream, or custard, if you like.
We love this series of beautifully taken photographs from mission-food.com. And they say lovely things about us, which never goes amiss. Check out their fabulous blog by clicking the scone!
Remember, we deliver!