Still got Thanksgiving leftovers in the refrigerator? Don’t chuck them just yet! Especially not if you’re planning a Sunday Roast. Here’s our recipe for Bubble and Squeak, a true British classic. Made by shallow-frying vegetables leftover from a big meal (cabbage, potato and brussels sprouts work particularly well), the dish has been popular since the 1800s, and gains its name from the sound it makes as it cooks. Unbelievably easy, and highly delicious, we strongly recommend you give it a go.
Bubble & Squeak
4 tablespoons oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 lb. potatoes, peeled, cooked, mashed, and seasoned
3 cups cooked cabbage and Brussels sprouts, finely chopped, along with any other vegetables you may wish to add
Salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onions and sauté them over a medium heat until they are soft but not brown.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes, cabbage, sprouts and onions; season to taste.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and press the mixture evenly into a pattie. Cook over a medium heat until the bottom is brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Holding a large plate over the pan, flip the plate and pan over, turning the pattie out onto the plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. When it is hot, return the pattie, browned side up, to the pan and cook until the bottom is brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cut the pattie into wedges and serve with fried eggs, sausage, or roasted meat.
This dish works just as well for brunch, with a dollop of Ketchup. And if even this doesn’t take your fancy but you’re in the mood to treating yourself to some British grub, why not order our very own Sunday Roast for delivery. Beef, lamb or chicken, with Yorkshire Pudding, and all the trimmings – deeeelicious! Order here or by calling us on 212-989-9735.