Yield: 1 Pie Crust
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup lard or solid shortening
5 1/2 tablespoons iced water
1 teaspoon salt
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and gradually add the water.
- Mix with a palette knife until you have a firm dough and all the crumbs in the bottom of the bowl have been incorporated. Then roll the pastry into a ball, making sure it all sticks together properly. Handle the pastry as little as possible.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least a half hour before using.
- Take the pastry out of the refrigerator about 10 minutes before you roll it, so that it doesn’t crumble.
When rolling out pastry put plenty of flour on the surface and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
Roll as little as possible; the less you handle the pastry, the better it will be.
When making savoury pies, brush the top with a little beaten egg before baking.
When using sweet pastry, brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.