While you might be giving it up for Lent, there’s no reason you can’t put it in a pie….
Steak & Guinness Pie
Preparation Time: 3 1/2 hours
2 1/2 lbs steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons tomato puree
2 1/2 cups Guinness
2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs or 1 bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
Short crust pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Over high heat, sear the meat in the butter and oil in batches until the meat has turned borwn, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and put it to one side.
- In the pan juices, cook the onions and garlic over medium heat until soft.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the flour, paprika and brown sugar; stir to combine, then add the tomato puree. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, making sure the flour has been completely incorporated.
- Add the Guinness and stock, then add the bay leaves and herbs. Simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Make sure that the meat is tender before removing it from the heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and turn the mixture into a 10-inch pie dish.
- Cover the pie with the short crust pastry and brush it with a little beaten egg.
- Cut a 1/4 inch slit in the middle and bake 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve straight from the oven with mashed potatoes and your favorite veg – we recommend peas!
All recipes on the blog are taken from our cookbook ‘Tea & Sympathy: The Life of an English Teashop in New York’, available in-store. Please email us at: email@example.com, or call on: 212-989-9735, if you’re interested in purchasing a copy.