It is very important when making pastry that before rolling it out you chill it for at least half an hour – an hour or two is even better. When you roll it, try to handle it as little as possible.
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
A pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until the sugar has dissolved.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg mixture; stir with a knife until you have a stiff dough.
- Roll the pastry into a ball and wrap in cling wrap; refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before using.
- Take the pastry out of the refrigerator about 10 minutes before you use it, so that it doesn’t crumble when you roll it.